WHEN YOU JOIN SWIPE OUT HUNGER, YOU JOIN A MOVEMENT
Swipe Out Hunger is a national nonprofit committed to ending college student hunger. We work with colleges and universities to design and implement a range of anti-hunger programs, including “The Swipe Drive” which enables students to donate meals to their peers facing food insecurity on campus. We promote on-campus solutions, policy and advocacy, and community building practices to address college food insecurity. Recognized for its entrepreneurial nature, Swipe Out Hunger has been named an Obama White House Champion For Change. From our beginnings as a grassroots movement at UCLA in 2010, we have since served 4.8 million nourishing meals across more than 450 campuses in all 50 states and Canada.
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 18, 11:59pm PST
FAQs: READ MORE
APPLY: Deadline has passed.
START DATE: October 2022
LOCATION: Remote, U.S. only. Must be open to occasional travel when Covid restrictions permit.
Swipe Out Hunger is looking for an experienced and talented communications professional to collaborate with and enhance its existing organizational chemistry. This role is the “glue”, unifying the Programs, Development, Advocacy, and Operations departments. This position should be open to tackling and effectively conveying complex systemic issues such as the intersection of hunger and racial justice. The Director of Communications serves as a thought partner within the leadership team, working to increase Swipe Out Hunger’s visibility, mission, and overall impact, including:
Communications Strategy & Development
– Develop and implement a cohesive communications strategy that serves each department, the organization, and the mission at large
– Serve as a general counsel, guiding the team & Board of Directors on organizational strategy, messaging, and external reputation
– Direct, review, and provide feedback for all content the Communications department publishes, ensuring mission-centric information is consistent across channels and team members
– Assemble and oversee a diversely skilled communications team that is capable of working with other departments in a smooth and seamless manner in a way that attracts, retains, and motivates top talent
– Work closely with the leadership team to proactively develop communication and PR strategies that amplify marketing, programmatic, advocacy, and fundraising efforts
– Ensure and embolden student storytelling, ensuring the lived experiences of its community are centered in the organizational messaging
External Communications & Public Relations
– Serve as the communications, public relations, and advisor to team & Board of Directors, including providing media training, consultation, and sounding board as appropriate
– Draft and develop press releases, blogs, and e-newsletters for public consumption
– Lead the development of the annual Impact Report by collaborating with all departments to thoughtfully reflect annual progress
– Manage the Digital Content Manager to strategize and execute creative assets, projects, and campaigns, including digital and print materials
– Prepare talking points, speeches, Q&As, presentations, and other informative materials for team & Board of Directors
– Manage all media relations, including representing Swipe Out Hunger as the lead spokesperson, taking interviews with reporters/editors, proactively pitching key media, and support departmental media efforts as necessary
– Proactively identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, both internally and externally, that could potentially impact the Mission perception and value
Internal Communications & Management
– Enhance employee and Board of Directors understanding and engagement of the organization’s mission and impact
– Conduct new employee communications onboarding, designed to orient new staff to the team and organizational culture
– Co-create department and campaign budgets, ensuring projects are on time and within budget
– Supervise and mentor Communications Department, including co-creating and monitoring staff performance goals, conduct annual performance reviews, and recommend salary adjustments
– Manage contractors to support with website development, HubSpot, and social media
– 5 – 7 years experience in managing communications, marketing, or other relevant fields; nonprofit experience a plus
– Proficient in engaging diverse stakeholders through a user pipeline, ensuring audience members are thoughtfully introduced to suite of Swipe Out Hunger offerings
– Experience in managing the development of communication tools and assets, such as messaging, websites, social media, branding, communications plans, videos, and marketing campaigns
– Experienced project manager with a strong work ethic, attention to detail, time management, ability to prioritize, problem-solve, willingness to learn, and a collaborative work style
– A strong strategic and creative thinker and collaborator with excellent organizational skills
– Able to use discretion and exercise sound judgment
– Familiarity and proficiency in data and analytics, understanding how these tools can be centered in communicating impact
– Experience with CRM and Project Management software and other standard management tools
– Swipe Out Hunger currently uses Hubspot, Monday.com, Slack, and Google Business
– An understanding of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion language and work, and how communications can be a tool to uplift these priorities in a mission-driven environment
– Enthusiasm for coming into an evolving work environment, building on a strong foundation to take an organization to new heights
COMMITMENT, COMPENSATION, & BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary between $80,000-88,000 commensurate with experience. Swipe Out Hunger provides a supportive benefits package, including 100% coverage for employees. This includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, 401K retirement matching after 6 months on the job, ample flex time, a yearly professional development stipend of $500, and a yearly $400 ‘Work Comfortably from Home’ fund. We also have a yearly in-person retreat amongst the palm trees of California!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to cultivating a team that reflects the rich diversity of the population we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic partner status, veteran status, medical condition, mental or physical disability which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties without reasonable accommodation.
HOW TO APPLY
The application deadline has passed. Our selection committee will review only completed applications.
Step 1: Selected candidates will be invited to record two interview questions regarding their experience and the role itself.
Step 2: Candidates will be invited for a video interview with the hiring manager and member of the Swipe Out Hunger team.
Step 3: Candidates will be asked to complete an assignment and share 2-3 references.
Step 4: Finalists interview with members of the Swipe Out Hunger team and a member of the communications team.
Step 5: Offer extended to candidate. Ideal start date in October but start date flexible.
Swipe Out Hunger is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to cultivating a team that reflects the rich diversity of the population we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic partner status, veteran status, medical condition, mental or physical disability which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties without reasonable accommodation. Applicants may make a reasonable accommodation request for these opportunities by emailing [email protected].
Want to stay up to date on future positions at Swipe Out Hunger? Sign up for our newsletter!