Resources for CUNY Students Amidst COVID-19 Closings
On Wednesday, March 11, CUNY announced that after a 5-day transition recess period, all CUNY classes will resume in distance-learning mode and will remain so through the end of the spring semester. In the words of the CUNY Chancellor, “By transitioning to distance learning, CUNY will be upholding its responsibility as the largest urban public university in the country and meeting our goal of minimizing exposure to those on our campus communities to coronavirus transmission.”
While all CUNY classes will be held online, the CUNY system has indicated that Colleges will remain open during the spring semester. This will include dormitories, libraries, research facilities, daycare centers, and mission-critical venues that support our students.
While the CUNY system will continue to provide essential services at campus locations, Swipe Out Hunger knows that confusion, changing circumstances, and reductions in services will be an additional strain on students already struggling with food insecurity and poverty.
As events unfold and the CUNY system makes changes and updates, Swipe Out Hunger will continue to urge students to utilize campus services while providing as many community resources to assist them in these times of increased need. Below are some resources for current CUNY students:
– Food Bank of New York City Food Finder
– Kosher Pantry Open Source Google Map
– Apply for SNAP Through HRA Access
– SNAP Enrollment Centers
– Plentiful App/Map (free reservation system for food pantries)
– NYC Emergency Food Hotline: 866.888.8777
Access to WIFI for Classes:
– NYC Hotspot Locations
– CUNY Tech Overview and Instruction
– Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
– NYC/Bronx Public Library Locations
– Brooklyn Public Library Locations
– Queens Public Library Locations
NOTE: ALL NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARIES CURRENTLY LIMITED TO LOBBY SERVICE
– U-Haul will offer 30 days of free self-storage at its facilities to help college students who are currently housing insecure (find your nearest U-Haul location here)
– NYC Human Resources Administration Locations (NYC HRA is the governmental department dedicated to fighting poverty and income inequality by providing New Yorkers in need with essential benefits such as Food Assistance and Emergency Rental Assistance))
– ACCESS Human Resources Administration (Cash Assistance, SNAP, Medicaid, Fair Fares)
– NYC HomeBase (Housing Security)
Physical and Mental Health:
If you have any questions or concerns, reach out to Robb@swipehunger.org.