UC Santa Barbara

UCSBcampus.jpg

Welcome Gauchos!

Swipe Out Hunger at UCSB was started by Shannon Mirshokri and Alexandra Guthy in the winter of 2013 due to the increasing urgency to assist the homeless community in the Isla Vista and greater Santa Barbara areas. Gauchos are known to be very giving and passionate about giving back, and we are looking forward to growing our organization on campus. “Swipes” shows UCSB’s dedication to maintain a level of respect and generosity toward a community Gauchos are proud to call home. With a small effort and kind intentions, students will be able to positively impact their local community. Learn more about how you can get involved below!

How Swipes at UCSB Works

Through Swipes at UCSB, students are able to donate one unused meal swipe to those in need. Once a quarter, Swipes representatives and volunteers will table outside the dining commons for a week to collect signatures from students who want to donate. Two weeks after the Swipes drive, we will be creating sack lunches and delivering them to nearby shelters. Overall, by donating an unused meal swipe, that would otherwise go to waste at the end of the quarter, students are helping feed a neighbor who would otherwise go hungry.

Currently Ongoing!

Our winter quarter drive is under way! We will be tabling Monday thru Wednesday of every week until we reach our 1,000 swipe cap. Each student is allowed to donate one meal per week. Check our Facebook page for specific times and locations.

Our donations are going to different places this year, too. 75% of the swipes will become meal vouchers and given to UCSB gauchos in need. The other 25% of swipes will be converted to a monetary value and have already been used to purchase various foods and items for Casa Esperanza Homeless Center in Downtown SB.

Get Involved 

If you would like to get involved at UCSB, either as a volunteer or for a leadership position, feel free to reach out to us by e-mailing the team directly at ucsbswipespresident@gmail.com

Our Team

Current President: David Rubenstein 

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

DONATE Start a Chapter Learn why 1 in 5 students go hungry

Find Us

Get Updates