National Programs Coordinator
Swipe Out Hunger
Full Time Position
Los Angeles, CA
What is Swipe Out Hunger
Swipe Out Hunger is a nonprofit based in Los Angeles that partners with universities nationwide to end student hunger. The organization provides both innovative and common sense solutions to food insecurity on college campuses. Swipe Out Hunger’s premiere program allows college students to donate their extra meal credits to support food insecure students on campus.
The organization has been called a “Champion of Change” by President Obama and its CEO was recognized on Forbes' 30 Under 30 list for the program’s impact. Today Swipe Out Hunger operates in 19 states and has served 1.4 million meals. In 2017 Swipe Out Hunger helped write and pass the trailblazing “Hunger Free Campus” bill, which led to a $7.5 million fund to alleviate hunger at public colleges in California.
Swipe Out Hunger is seeking a driven and collaborative Coordinator to support the growth of its university presence at a critical time for the organization. The National Programs Coordinator would report to the Director of Programs and also work directly with the CEO.
On a typical day, this will include speaking with college student leaders and administrators to help set up new meal donation programs, facilitating connections between leaders on different campuses, identifying and reaching out to potential strategic partners, and managing additional projects that leverage a specific skill-set the candidate is excited to contribute.
Working with the Director of Programs in all phases of program growth. This includes conducting initial orientation phone calls with campus leaders, providing ongoing coaching and proper supportive resources, troubleshooting implementation challenges, conducting active follow up to maximize success, and tracking impact.
Working with the CEO to identify, establish and advance partnerships with like-minded partners that would expand the scale or scope of Swipe Out Hunger’s work. Some examples of strategic partners could include higher ed systems such as the University of California and non-profits and foundations with aligned missions.
Supporting the mission and day-to-day execution of what needs to move the organization forward. As a start-up, the team is “all hands on deck”, doing whatever is necessary to meet the goals. Accordingly, this position will include general admin and operations responsibilities such as database management, calendar management for the CEO, inventory management, and support with board management.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- 1-3 years of professional work experience
- Familiarity with the social impact or nonprofit sector
- Experience managing timeline based projects
- Outstanding relationship skills– you naturally build relationships with people
- Strong communication skills– you know the importance of a well crafted email
- Organized, detail and solution oriented
- Committed to social justice
- Resilient and undeterred by rejection
- Background in community organizing is a bonus
- You’re a self starter and are comfortable with the dynamic start-up workplace culture
- A team player who is willing to do what it takes– no job too small or big
Additional Expertise Sought:
As a fast growing start-up, we want to leverage any additional special skill set you could contribute to the team. Are you a master at graphic design? Copy editing? Communication strategy? Team morale? Data analysis? Grant-Writing/ Fundraising? Public Policy?
Compensation and Benefits
- Full time position.
- Opportunity to join an engaged, upbeat and collaborative team based in Downtown LA and be mentored by a leading social entrepreneur.
- Hours are flexible. Generous vacation and PTO. We work hard and encourage a balanced lifestyle.
- Position includes full access membership to WeWork and its 200+ locations.
- Starting salary of 35-40K with opportunity for growth in title and salary as the organization grows.
- We offer health insurance options or premium reimbursements.
Swipe Out Hunger proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org titled:
"First Name Last Name – National Programs Coordinator" so, “Michael Jordan, National Programs Coordinator"
Resume or CV
A paragraph answering one of the following prompts:
What is your story and why are you interested in this position?
What you're most proud of (an accomplishment, something in your life, etc.)?
Following initial review, select applicants will be invited to interview.
References will be requested following a successful interview.