Swipe Out Hunger
Full Time Position
Los Angeles, CA
About Swipe Out Hunger
Swipe Out Hunger is a nonprofit based in Los Angeles that partners with universities nationwide to end college student hunger. SOH’s innovative program allows college students to donate their extra meal credits to support food insecure peers on campus.
The organization has been called a “Champion of Change” by President Obama and has scaled from a grassroots group of friends at UCLA to 51 campuses in 23 states. In 2017 Swipe Out Hunger helped write and pass the trailblazing “Hunger Free Campus” bill, which led to a $7.5 million fund to alleviate hunger at public colleges in California.
Swipe Out Hunger seeks a collaborative Communications Manager to lead the organization’s communications and marketing strategy. The Communications Manager will have the support of the National Programs Coordinator and report to the CEO.
Swipe Out Hunger is positioned to effectively tell the story of student hunger, an issue that has received significant media attention, and the story of how Swipe Out Hunger works to end it. The organization completed a rebrand in Fall 2018 and has a wealth of brand guidance and strong, updated assets.
- Lead the development and implementation of a communications strategy that effectively shares SOH’s issue, programs and vision
- Collaborate with SOH team and Board to integrate strategy across the organization
- Develop strategies and messaging that communicates effectively with our key audiences, including students, university administrators, food service providers, policymakers, media and the greater public
- Produce strategic content and plans that help strengthens the presentation of our work to universities and donors.
- Work with National Programs Coordinator to produce content for outreach across organization
- Develop and execute media outreach strategies; write press releases, strategize themes for op-eds etc.
- Write and oversee the production of all print and electronic collateral, including website copy, email newsletters, and program reports
- Edit written materials developed by team members to ensure consistent messaging and style
- Manage social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
Organizational Growth & Additional Duties
Work with the CEO to identify, establish and advance partnerships with like-minded businesses that would expand the scale or scope of Swipe Out Hunger’s work. Some examples of strategic partners could include food companies that work on college campuses or millennial-focused businesses. This includes developing pitch decks, building relationships, and attending conferences.
As a fast growing start-up, we want to leverage any additional special skill set you could contribute to the team. Are you a master at graphic design? Event planning? Grant Writing / Fundraising? Program development? Data analysis? Public Policy?
As a start-up, the team is “all hands on deck”, doing whatever is necessary to meet the goals. Accordingly, this position will include general admin and operations responsibilities such as database management, operations support, staff management, attending relevant conferences general staff meetings etc. In short, support the mission and day-to-day execution of what needs to move the organization forward.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- 2-5 years of experience in communications, marketing or PR
- Outstanding communication skills– you can listen, reflect, and create compelling content
- Excellent writer and copy editor
- Experience managing timeline based projects
- Commitment to equity for all students
- Strong relationship skills– you naturally build relationships with people
- Organized, detail and solution oriented
- You’re a self starter and are comfortable with the dynamic start-up workplace culture
Compensation and Benefits
- Full time position.
- Opportunity to join an engaged, upbeat and collaborative team based in Downtown LA and be mentored by a leading social entrepreneur.
- Hours are flexible. Generous vacation and PTO. We work hard and encourage a balanced lifestyle.
- Position includes full access membership to WeWork and its 200+ locations.
- Competitive compensation. Opportunity for growth in title and salary as the organization grows.
- We offer health insurance options or premium reimbursements.
Swipe Out Hunger proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org titled:
"First Name Last Name – Communications Manager" so, “Michael Jordan, National Communications"
Resume or CV
A paragraph answering one of the following prompts:
What is your story and why are you interested in this position?
What you're most proud of (an accomplishment, something in your life, etc.)?
Following initial review, select applicants will be invited to interview.
References will be requested following a successful first interview.