What is Swipe Out Hunger?
- Swipe Out Hunger is a network of independently run chapters that host drives on college campuses to collect students' unused meal points and feed their peers and the local community.
What is Expected of a Chapter Leader?
- To launch a chapter you will need to conduct research, build a supportive network of students and staff on campus, craft a proposal outlining the logistics to implement the program, and present it to dining services (as many times as needed) until it is approved.
- After it is approved you will organize drives to collect meal points and engage the campus community in fulfilling our mission of alleviating hunger.
- You will build capacity to sustain the initiative after you graduate.
What are the Perks of Being a Chapter?
- You will join a movement that Universities throughout the country are engaged in and that the Obama White House called “Champions of Change.”
- You will gain real-world leadership experience and professional skills.
- You will be invited to student conferences and regional gatherings where you can network.
What is the Role of Swipe Out Hunger’s National Office (HQ)?
- We provide various forms of support depending on each campuses needs, including leadership, team building, research, program development, and marketing guidance.
- We provide ongoing coaching to address challenges that arise.
- We can connect different chapters to each other to facilitate peer learning.
What are Examples of How Swipe Out Hunger Chapters Have Made a Difference On Campus?
- Advocated for the school to launch a campus food closet
- Advocated for the school to start a meal voucher program for students who are food insecure
- Advocated for the school to start a campus farm and donate crops
- Organized quarterly trips to a soup kitchen
- Made and handed out sandwiches
- Organizde a 5K Walk to raise funds and awareness
- Planned Events for Hunger/Homelessness Week
- Launched Social Media and Fundraising Campaigns
- Partnered with local restaurants and host bake sales to raise funds
Interested in Starting a Chapter?
- Spend 5-8 minutes filling out this interest form and we will send you an email to schedule a phone call!